Thursday, May 30, 2013

Dry Skin

I often forget that I actually have been diagnosed with several skin disorders of no specific origin. Sometime in my mid twenties I found I have eczema and seborrheic dermatitis. Since I am pretty healthy, I rarely have an issue or outbreak on the first, though the second is a constant irritant, so I try to keep my scalp shaved, which seems to work better then any other treatment I have tried, and I have tried them all!

There are likely a million DIY recipes for lotions, ointments, etc. that will likely help with any minor skin irritations. I have a huge problem in this life - I cannot stand lotion or things on my hands that may transfer to my face. I never had acne as a teenager, but as an adult it has been a huge battle for me, so anything that may inadvertently cause me more acne is a no-no! I do tend to touch my face a lot, but I try my best to be aware of it and to stop the urge. When I had long curly hair I had a compulsion to rub the smooth part of a curl against my lip and this only made my acne go crazy as I was transferring oil everywhere. No hair is a better option for me. I would suggest searching around on pintrest or google if you have an interest in making your own products, just keep in mind that not every recipe is going to suit every person, so you may have to test out a few. I usually read comments and reviews and if they seem sincere and numerous, I am on the train!

For my head, as I stated above, my only real answer to the dermatitis is to shave my head. It clears up mostly when I manage to keep it shaved and also if I put some jojoba oil on my dome to keep it moisturized. Living in the high desert is not for every skin type and mine is definitely not suited to the climate here any better then it was back in New York, where it was moist, but almost too moist. Both of my skin conditions began when I lived in NY, so my current environment did not cause my conditions. Now, as a farmer living in the high desert with sensitive skin I can tell you about some dry skin! My skin flakes off as though burned even when it is not. I have heard that coconut oil is a good moisturizer, but I have not had any luck with it. As soon as I put it on it feels like it is gone. If I had some to waste right now I would probably try to make an ointment with some wax and oils and see if that would work better (which it probably would, since the wax would make the oil stay on top of the skin longer).

I live in a 5th Wheel trailer and have no dishwasher, so I get to wash a lot of dishes. In the winter my hands crack badly and since I cannot tolerate lotion on my hands, I end up with cut up hands. I started to use dishwashing gloves and that helps a lot. A warning, they will break and pop no matter what brand you choose. If my hands get really bad, I will slather them with Aquafor or homemade ointment before bed and when I awaken, they are usually much better.

I know I could do a million different things to moisturize before the damage is done, I just have a terrible time with slimy things on my skin, so sometimes you have to know what to do After! So, ointments, lotions, specialty shampoos - you can make your own from a million recipes online to try. If you have any additional tips, please add them to the comments section.

Love and Light <3 Psynn

http://www.care2.com/greenliving/handmade-holidays-soothing-skin-ointment.html
http://diyconfessions.com/2012/11/15/homemade-eczema-creamskin-moisturizer/
http://myhomemadebeauty.com/2010/09/23/diy-skin-cream-workshop/
http://soapdelinews.com/2012/10/diy-winter-salve-recipes-25-natural-homemade-skin-salve-recipes.html


No comments:

Post a Comment